Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Glimpse of Heaven

A few weeks ago I had the privilege to go to Night of Joy with my family. It was an incredible two nights of some of the best Christian artists. The entire event took on a different atmosphere knowing it was a bunch of God's children coming together to just have fun and praise Him. Yes, the artists were great. Yes, the sound and production was great too. But none of these compared to the hour plus we sat just pouring our hearts out in praise while Chris Tomlin lead us to the throne.

It wasn't Chris, it wasn't the sound, it wasn't the lights. Yes, the songs were part of the glimpse, but it was Gods people unashamedly and un inhibited just worshiping. In the row in front of us was a young girl, in her early 20's I presume. This young lady had no care or awareness that anyone was around. In her heart and mind it was just her, Chris and God. Even now as I recollect the experience, I feel a lump in my throat. Her absolute un abandoned worship was moving. It left me in silence unable to utter a sound. I cannot wait to see her again one day in heaven and listen to her sing.

No, she did not sing like a bird. Truth be known, she couldn't even come close to finding the tune. She had a two or three note range, but her heart and love just poured out of her mouth. To many, they would look down on her and discredit her because she is mentally handicapped. This young lady was in NO way handicapped...she was freed to worship. She had a communion with God that radiated from her. Her childlike faith was innocent and real. Our family could not have been in a better place in that stadium area. We were all moved and changed because of that experience.

I believe that night I saw a glimpse of heaven and just how true and authentic that worship will be...no pretense...just authenticity. If this is what heaven is going to be like...I may be struck with silence and awe.

May we make a joyful noise to the Lord...

No comments: