Friday, July 17, 2009

Random Thoughts from Aleks

Our time together with the kids before bed is a time I look forward to each night. After we all gather together and talk –n- laugh about the day we pray together. After that we spend a few minutes with each of the kids…but Aleks likes to talk at this time. It has become somewhat of an expectation that both Cindy and I will spend time laying in bed with Aleks just talking about random things that he wants to talk about. It’s a time of openness and honesty that has sprouted and grown over the last three weeks.

A couple of nights ago Aleks wanted to make sure that Kristen and Rachel were making the trip to Latvia with us. When I told him that they were not traveling with us he immediately wanted to know why. He understood that it is very expensive for us all to travel to Latvia but he said “whole family go together to Liepaja together”. Wow…he is seeing us as a family. After he found out the girls are not traveling with us Aleks decided that he wanted to stay here in America too. He said that Cindy and I can go to Latvia and he will wait here. The next night I had to explain that we need him to go with us to take care of us and show us around Liepaja. I also explained that the court will want to talk to him and ask him questions about why he wants to come to America. Aleks was quick to respond that “I like America, I like my room, I like my home, I like my family (YEA!), I like my sisters, I like both my little sister and my big sister. He also said that Cindy and I are “good people” and he wants to stay here.

Other topics recently have been Aleks mother, father, grandmother, school in Latvia. He has also talked about his “stupid” friends in Latvia who do not want to come to America. “They don’t know how good home is”….wow…how much truth is in that for all of us! Too many times we stay and hide in our corner of comfort because we have no clue how good home can be outside of where we are stuck.

Please pray with us that God would continue to open our hearts to one another. As Aleks learns to trust us he learns our heart is filled with unconditional love for him….hmmm…sounds like another Father I know.

No comments: