Sunday, November 28, 2010

As Dawn Breaks in the Woods

As the sun began to break through the trees not only did the rays of sun bring light, they also brought rays of warmth as they pierced the crisp frosty air. In the distance I hear the rippling waters of a gentle stream as is makes its way from the meadow into the woods. The birds began their scamper to awaken the forest. The morning songs of the chickadee, morning doves, nuthatches, buntings and finches all blended in chorus to praise the Creator. The rhythm of the downy woodpecker chimes in with perfect sync. The fresh smell from the early decay of the fresh autumn leaves releases a certain sweetness in the air. I can’t help but praise God for the majesty of His creation…and that he allows me to participate in His story….and the beauty of it.

Yesterday morning I had the privilege of going hunting on a beautiful piece of property near our home. For me the mere opportunity to have a few hours alone in the woods is incredible…it’s refreshing. If I am blessed to see some game I count it a success and if I happen to bag some game I have been truly blessed. The three hours in the woods rekindles an excitement in my soul that can’t be explained with words… and one that I had almost forgotten. For some it’s the moments on a rippling stream with the fly rod, listening for the slurping of the elusive trout. Others is the time of rebuilding and restoring that classic car so that one day they can turn the key and hear the purr of an engine begging to be tested.

2 On the seventh day God had finished his work of creation, so He rested from all His work. 3 And God blessed the seventh day and declared it holy, because it was the day when He rested from all His work of creation. (Genesis 2:2-3 NLT)

2 Blessed are all those
who are careful to do this.
Blessed are those who honor my Sabbath days of rest
and keep themselves from doing wrong.
(Isaiah 56:2 NLT)

Where is your place of rest? Do you even take time to rest? God commands us to rest because He knows just how much we really need it and the refreshment that it brings.

No comments: