Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Are You Ready...

The question comes, the opportunity presents itself, the attention is now focused on you…


New International Version (NIV)
But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,
1 Peter 3:14-16

Yesterday I was faced with a choice. It unfolded like this…

I was returning from a business trip and had landed back in Atlanta at Hartsfield. I proceeded to get my luggage and head to the shuttle bus which would take me to my car. This is the same thing I always to, but this day was different. As I approached the shuttle I was the only one there besides the driver. I boarded the shuttle and the driver immediately headed toward the off site parking lot where I had parked. As we started on our way, the driver asked me if he could talk to me...uhh, sure. The driver proceeded to tell me about how his marriage of 20 years had fallen apart. His wife had left him and taken his 14 year old daughter as well. It was clear that this man still was dealing with a lot of pain, confusion and anger. I tried to encourage him by telling him that his daughter still needed a daddy. He proceeded to tell me about how he was falling for a long time friend of his as well but that some of his friends were encouraging him to reconcile with his wife. At this point he began to ask how he could ever take back a person who had turned her back on him, how he could ever forgive her for leaving, how could he ever lie down next to her and trust her. At this point we had already been sitting at my vehicle for a couple of minutes...and I was faced with a choice. The voice in side of me was saying "tell him the truth in love" and another voice said "get off the bus and go home". I turned to the man and told him that he needed to forgive no matter if he was ever going to get back with his wife or if he was going to move on with his life without her. I also said that this is the same dilemma that our God is faced with because each of us has turned our back on Him...but He loves us, forgives us and takes us back when we will come to Him and ask for forgiveness.
My answer seemed to shock the man but you could see him soften as I shared a few words with him.

Lord, may the words You gave me to share, make a difference in this mans life.

No comments: