Sunday, May 11, 2008

Choosing to Cheat?

Okay...that's a loaded statement, and I realize that.

I finished reading the book "Choosing to Cheat" by Andy Stanley this week. My initial response is "what is this guy thinking...nobody has the right to jack my life up like this". Its a small book with a powerful message.

The premise of the book is that everybody chooses to cheat with their time but the choice is who or where are you going to cheat. There are only so many hours in a day (24 to be exact) and our schedules are overloaded. We have way more in our life than we have time for and because of this we end up shorting someone or something. As a husband, dad, small business owner, church member, student tech guy, small group member, son, son-in-law, grandson, brother, friend (and the list goes on) I get overwhelmed at times. Many of you have a dozen more things to add to the list.
The question at the end of the day becomes, who or what am I cheating with my time and attention? At the core of my values who or what is most important? Who or what is irreplaceable? Don't think you have a problem? Ask each person in your house what they would change about your schedule if they could. Honestly ask God what He would like to change in your schedule...and then listen.


Now, when I do my part to put life back into a proper perspective it is God's responsibility to take care of the rest. May I keep the relationship with my God and my family before all else.

No comments: