Monday, April 21, 2008

A Nature Like Ours...

Ever feel discouraged by your humanity? I do. This human nature was given over to a sin nature way back in the garden, and it plagues us today. There are times when I am struggling and look at the men in the Bible and think...yeah, sure...but that's not me. We somehow think that the men and women of the Bible were so different than us.
Here is what I read today: James 5:17 "Elijah was a man with a nature like ours..."
WOW...did you read that? He had a nature like ours. He was just like you and me. The context of this passage (James 5:13-18) is dealing with the power of prayer. The man who could pray a drought into existence was like you and me. The man who then prayed down rain, was a man like you and me. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, yet he chose to believe God at His word...and there was power in his prayers because God heard and answered. Elijah sought out the heart of God and prayed for that.
Be encouraged...you and I have the same nature as Elijah. God spoke to him and He can speak to us if we let Him.

No comments: